You’ve probably been told that networking is key to your success when it comes to finding the right healthcare career. But how do you network better? No matter the season, there are universal networking tips that can help you meet more people and get the word out there to help you find your next job. Here are 5 ways you can network with potential employers.
- Don’t actually network. Why is this our top recommendation in a blog post specifically about networking. The truth is, if you focus too hard on networking it stops being a natural action and feels forced, which defeats the purpose. Instead, let connections happen organically when you’re out and about in the community. Talk to people wherever you are and mention that you’re looking for work. Non-networking networking can actually be quite effective.
- Know where to network. Once you know how to network, you need to know when and where. For example, if you’re looking for a healthcare opportunity go where healthcare employers will be. Industry events are the most popular, such as nursing association meetings. Prepare ahead of time to bring cards and dress professionally. Don’t automatically assume that someone will be able to employ you, but be willing to make connections with everyone.
- Make it about them. When you’re networking, don’t dominate the conversation. Let the other people have a turn. People love to talk about themselves, so encourage them to do that. Ask them to tell you their story. You can ask questions that prompt give you more information about themselves. This can give you insight as you get to know them and look for your next opportunity.
- Consider your topics. When you’re out at networking events or anywhere you might meet someone new, have some ideas of topics you can talk about. Make sure they’re non-controversial and help make connections. Be sure to avoid topics like politics and religion, but be prepared to ask questions about other topics to start discussions.
- Network online. Networking in person is important, but it’s not the only way to meet decision makers and hiring managers. Online networking is becoming increasingly more popular as a way to find new opportunities. LinkedIn is considered the most professional network to find new positions. But don’t forget about connecting with potential employers on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
Do you want to grow your network for your next healthcare job? Fortus Healthcare Resources can help, so call today.