Your team interacts with their office or clinical environment more than they do their own homes. This means its up to you to create a workspace that empowers them toward health and wellness. This is why the science if ergonomics is important to your healthcare facility. The concept began to pick up steam in the 1980s and 1990s, and it continues to be an important part of overall health and wellness in offices. But how do you train your healthcare teams about office ergonomics reduce injuries in the workplace? Here are some ideas to help you start.
- Provide support from management. The only way for your team to take ergonomics seriously in the workplace is if management is also taking it seriously. You should create goals that clearly define the objectives for a more comfortable and safer workplace and provide the necessary tools to ensure compliance.
- Involve your employees. Your team should also be a part of the implementation process. They can help you by identifying potential hazards, and share thoughts and ideas for improved processes. They will be the individuals most impacted by ergonomics day-to-day, so their buy in is necessary.
- Create training programs. For current and incoming employees, you also need to provide training to ensure that everyone is onboard and understands the importance of ergonomics in your workplace. This will decrease the risk of injury and allow people to understand how to report problems or come to management with questions or concerns.
- Identify hazards in the workplace. To implement updated ergonomics in the office, what already exists that is creating a less comfortable and potentially dangerous workspace? How does your current desk set up impact the overall health of your team? What kind of office chairs do you currently have in place?
- Evaluate progress. This should never be a one-and-done process. Your organization should be handling it regularly to determine the success of any given implementation. You should review the goals you set to ensure they are being met to assess the success of any solutions you have put in place.
Do you want to incorporate ergonomics into your healthcare workplace? Contact Fortus Healthcare Solutions to see how we can help.