When we think about journals, we’re probably imagining the tattered old books where we write our teenage thoughts and bad poetry. Or maybe we think of the countless bloggers sharing their lives online. But journals can be very beneficial to professionals in the nursing industry. What is a nursing journal and how can it help you in your career?
- Training notes. Training with a new clinic, department, or facility means you’ll be learning a lot of new things all at once. Don’t hesitate to take notes. And by keeping a journal, you’ll have access to this information at all times so you don’t have to rely on others to answer questions you’ve already been briefed on during training.
- Requirements for assessments. As a nurse, there are a variety of assessments you’ll need to know. Overtime they’ll become second nature, but as you’re learning there is no shame in having references to help you better handle these processes.
- Day to day references. There will be a variety of things you’re responsible for regularly including protocols, medications, procedures, and more. You’ll also learn something new every day, so go ahead and write them down. Every time someone teaches you something new, make a note. It’ll come in handy in the future.
- Accessible calendars. Some nurses use a bullet journaling model which allows you not only to take notes and track achievements, but also keep your calendar at your fingertips. This can help you keep track of your schedule and other important dates to make sure nothing gets lost in the cracks.
- Previous experience. You can also keep it as a diary that will allow you to go back and better understand how you handled certain experiences. It will also give you the tools you need when you have to update your resume for future job searches. It can be hard to remember accomplishments when you’re updating your information, but your diary can give you insight.
Are you ready to choose your planner and start keeping notes to track your career? Contact Fortus Healthcare Solutions to see what’s on the horizon for your career.