Travel nursing is very attractive to trained professionals who want to take advantage of their situation to travel and see more of the country, or even the world. But when you travel from place to place on assignment it can be difficult to put down roots or feel like you belong. Add to that the need to obtain housing, and sometimes travel nursing can start to feel more stressful than not. In general, there are two types of housing for traveling nurses, agency placed housing and stipend pay. Let’s look at the benefits of each so you can make an informed decision on your next assignment.
Agency Placed Housing
- Simple and effective. There are many advantages to taking your agency up on their housing options. You won’t be responsible for any of the processes. You simply follow your stuff in and set up your house.
- Guaranteed availability. When you allow your agency to establish your housing, you also won’t have to live with the possibility of not finding a place to stay while on assignment. Your agency has already established relationships with housing providers in the new city.
- Good pricing. The agency will also work with the landlords or rental companies to make sure that the cost of living is affordable. You will find that the housing owners will work out great deals in order to keep their corporate clients happy and coming back.
- More control over options. If you choose to accept a stipend to find your own housing, you will be able to choose where you live and what you live in. If you prefer a house over an apartment, this may be a good choice for you.
- Additional savings. Many travel nurses will take the stipend, which is a fixed amount, and rent a less expensive housing option. This way, they can bank that additional money and have money to enjoy their new city or to put into long term investments.
- Flexibility of time. When the agency places you in housing, you typically only have a few days to move in and start work. If you choose your own housing, you can give yourself extra time ahead of the start date to get to know your new town and get settled.
About Fortus Healthcare Resources
With more than 30 experienced recruiters, our team is dedicated to connecting medical professionals with outstanding employers. Healthcare facilities rely on us to provide physicians, nurses and other medical professionals for short-term, long term and permanent vacancies.
Do you want to know more about travel nursing? The specialists at Fortus Healthcare Group can help, so call today!